TITLE: How To Boil A Frog
TEXT: Galatians 6:1-3
PROPOSITION: Sin can "sneak up" on us unawares.
KEY WORD: Applications
1. Background of frog collection; Several frog sermons
2. Learned in a laboratory. Slowly turn up heat, boil, not uncomfortable
3. Application for today. Things used to shock us - not anymore!
1. Study our text. Gal. 6:1
1. Overtaken - run along, faster runner, passes just before finish line
2. Brethren, Spiritual - Strong must assist the weak to overcome
3. Many are "doing their best" and still stumble, sin, fall away.
Olympic swim event - 4th place broke world record.
2. In Church history
1. Changes happened SLOWLY over several generations
2. So slow and subtle no one noticed how far they had drifted
3. Hebrews 2:1 Lest we drift away from them
3. Application to our Moral Values.
Divorce Malachi 2:16 the Lord hates putting away (divorce)
Hollywood, wicked world, weak religious, in church
Drinking Proverbs 23:29-35; 20:1
Alcoholics, problem drinkers, occasional, social
Matter of degree - One drink = one drink drunk
Profanity Ephesians 4:29
1939 "Gone With the Wind" banned for one 4-letter word
Today - all kinds of profanity, on TV and movies "good show"
Sexual Situations Adultery, Fornication, Lust Pedophilia (see quote below)
Colossians 3:5 Mortify (put to death) flesh
Galatians 5:19 Works of the flesh are ---
1 Corinthians 6:9 Unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God
Comedy? Talk shows! Police dramas (NYPD Blues)
Adultery, Homosexuality, casual sex, incest, rape, abuse
Movies, Video rentals, TV, music, magazines
Voyeurism TV Temptation Island, Voyeurism bus, Dorm cam
1. Sensitivity bush - touch it and it shimmers and shakes.
2. Touch it over and over and over = less responsive.
3. Are we being boiled and not aware?
PEDOPHILIA IS NEXT?
How does the unthinkable become thinkable? Through slow, persistent, and quiet change. At a time when abortion, infanticide, and euthanasia are becoming widely accepted, you might wonder: Whats left that could possibly be called unthinkable? The answer: pedophilia, the sexual exploitation of children.
The process of erosion began at least fifteen years ago, when academics began questioning the almost universal condemnation of pedophilia. Soon, filmmakers and advertisers joined in, giving us movies like Lolita, depicting a sexual liaison between a 12 year-old girl and a forty-year-old man. More recently, advertisers like Calvin Klein have pushed the envelope, using child-like models in sexually explicit poses in billboards and advertising.
In 1998, the Journal of the American Psychological Association published the results of a study that argued that sex between adults and children is not always harmful, and that so-called willing encounters should be relabeled as adult-child sex.
In 1979, Dr. C. Everett Koop and Dr. Francis Shaeffer, in their book, Whatever Happened to the Human Race? predicted that things considered unthinkable in the seventies would become thinkable in the nineties. This would happen, they predicted, because the consensus of our society no longer rests on a Judeo-Christian base, but rather on a humanistic one.
We cant afford to keep silent about this issue. God help us if the barbarians in our midst are able to convince the American people that child molestation is just another fashionable trend of the twenty-first century.