Return to list of sermons G - L
TITLE: How to get more from a Sermon
TEXT: Matthew 7:28-29
PROPOSITION: Listeners must be prepared as well as the
KEY WORD: Suggestions
SCRIPTURE READING: Same
INTRODUCTION: You have heard "I got
a lot out of that sermon."
You have also heard, Shallow, Got nothing out
of it, boring, dull, no depth.
I must admit every preacher has some
However, the listener must be prepared to
Come with the right attitude of mind
- One who comes expecting to be bored
- One who comes looking for help will
- Proverbs 1:5 A wise man will hear,
and will increase.
- Come expecting to get something useful
you will find it.
Bring your Bible and paper (bulletin
- In the bulletin is the outline with blank
space for your notes.
- Bring your Bible!
- Noise of pages turning is music to
- Taking notes will help you remember the
points important to you.
Use these notes during the week
- Review them add other thoughts,
- Use them for dinner discussions
- Discuss how to apply them in the family
Tell others about the sermon
- People you contact at work will be
- We discuss news, weather, sports.
- Why not tell them what you heard Sunday?
Sit close to the front
- Many are not hearing the message.
- Mothers with babies and small children
keep bringing them.
- Those who do not have small children
sit in front of the babies.
- Hearing problem we have devices
Be physically prepared
- It starts on Saturday night get
- Plan when to rise, what to wear, etc.
- We need to be alert, at our best to study
- Preaching is a two-way street
- Preacher must study, be prepared
- Audience must be prepared to listen
- "Take heed WHAT you
hear." Mark 4:24
- "Take heed HOW you hear."
Return to list of sermons from G - L