TITLE: Moldy Bread
TEXT: Joshua 9:3-27
PROPOSITION: Two wrongs do not equal a right.
KEY WORD: Wrongs
READING: Joshua 9:11-15
1. Many believe that two wrongs equal a right. NOT SO.
2. Here is an example of where both sides were wrong.
A. Lied - Planned Deception (4)
1. About the country of origin.
a] Said from a far country. (6)
b] Really only 3 days away. (17)
2. About their provisions (12-13)
a] Mouldy bread
b] Broken wine-skins
c] Worn-out clothes and shoes
B. Brought God into the picture. (9)
1. Many use God's name in vain.
a] Profanity is one way
b] Make vain promises is another
2. Many call God as their witness
a] Mother, "I sware to God, I'll kill him."
b] Hospital rooms; Jail cells; Funeral homes
3. Makes it sound genuine
a] They hope you don't check the facts
b] One appears to be sincere
4. A lie can be the truth with a false motive
A. Did not check with the Lord (14)
1. Made peace with them.
2. Will allow them to live.
3. James 4:15 "Say, If the Lord wills..."
B. Swore to it. (15)
1. Can't kill them. (19)
2. Locked them in. No "King's X" Can't take back.
a] Marriage vows. b] Contract.
3. James 5:12 "Swear not at all."
C. Looked for a loophole. (21)
1. Boy.."Not pulling cat's tail. I am hanging on, he is pulling."
2. Get caught - instead of repent - look for loop-hole - hunt for an escape clause
3. Who can we blame?