Return to list of sermons T - Z
TITLE: Why Work?
TEXT: Genesis 3:17-19
PROPOSITION: God expects our work to be done in the proper motive.
- Labor Day weekend = last fling of summer.
- Designed to honor the "working man".
- Why do we work?
A. Work to eat and eat to work?
B. To have things? Buy things?
- Judeo-Christian Work Ethic = Genesis 3:17-19
- Why labor? Why work?
WRONG REASON -
Vain work for things, fame, glory
- John 6:27 Not for things that perish, but for eternal
- 1 Corinthians 15:58 Steadfast, unmovable, not labor in vain.
- Galatians 4:11 I am afraid that I have labored in vain.
- 2 Peter 3:10-11 Earth and works burned up, these things dissolved
- Some do things "to be seen of men". Matthew 6:5
RIGHT REASONS -
Part of the plan of God
- Genesis 3:17-19 Work with sweat of face
- God expects us to work, earn our way
- 2 Thessalonians 3:10 Not work, neither should he eat
- Man must not be lazy, freeloader.
- This world does NOT owe you a life, shelter, food, etc.
- Ephesians 4:28 Labor – have to give to those in need.
- Galatians 6:10 As opportunity – do good to all men
- Earthquake victims, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.
Because we trust God
- Not – in order to get from God – a debt which God owes us
- Not – to earn heaven, salvation, eternal life.
- 1 Timothy 4:10 We labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God
- Hebrews 6:10 God will not forget your labor of love – ministered to the saints
- 1 Thessalonians 1:3 Not forget your work of faith, labor of love, patience of hope
Return to list of sermons from T - Z