TITLE: Introduction to Covenant
TEXT: Galatians 3:15-17
PROPOSITION: Our relationship to God is one of covenant not contract.
KEY WORD: Differences
SCRIPTURE READING: Same
- There are some differences in Covenant and a legal
- We are not in a position to alter, change, add, subtract
from the covenant.
FAITH COMES BY HEARING AND OBEYING (COVENANT) – Romans
- Word of God = the statements, promises, and commands He
- These are all found in the New Covenant
COVENANT – What the term means
- Agreement, binding contract, promise, pledge
- Today we use the word – contract
- However, there are some differences
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN CONTRACT AND COVENANT
BASCIS OF BLOOD COVENANT
- Amos 3:3 – Can two walk together unless they are agreed?
- Covenant is done when 2 parties agree to walk together –
- African proverb – “Blood is thicker than milk” meaning
blood covenant is more binding than a fleshly brother that shared the same
- Proverbs 18:24 – There is a friend that sticks closer
than a brother.
- Blood covenant binds in two ways:
- I will keep this agreement even if it kills me.
- If I break this covenant, you can kill me.
IF YOU ARE IN COVENANT WITH GOD: (Galatians 3:15-17)
- God confirms it (15)
- You can not make it void (set it aside, cancel, annul) (15)
- You can not add to or renegotiate (take from, change terms)
- Even if God changes the law – Promises in the covenant
- Covenant with Noah – rainbow – remains (Patriarchal Age,
Law of Moses, Christian Age – still in force)
- Covenant with Abraham - remains
Bible is a Covenant