TITLE: Types of Covenants
TEXT: Ezekiel 17:12-16
PROPOSITION: Most covenants are one-sided impositions.
KEY WORD: Types
SCRIPTURE READING: Same
- We think in terms of a mutual contract I will do A,
you will do B.
- Both parties are happy both receive something of
- Not true with covenant.
- Contracts are negotiated Covenants are not negotiated.
- Ezekiel 17:12-16 Babylon and Judah
- 2 Kings 24:11-17
- Greater power sets the terms You agree or die
- No negotiation no compromise no mutual benefit
Two-sided Covenant (Both agree to pre-set terms)
- Even in 2-sided One is greater, set the terms, the
- Malachi 2:13-16 Marriage is a covenant
NOTE: Marriage is a tri-lateral (3-sided covenant God, man, woman)
Matthew 19:6 What God joined together
- 1 Samuel 18:3-4 Jonathan and David
- God is the GREAT I AM.
- Can you negotiate? Can you compromise?
- God says, Here is what I will do. PERIOD.
- Garden with Adam; Rainbow with Noah; Law with Moses
- Jeremiah 31:31-34 I will do this. End of discussion.
When God makes a
Covenant He gives:
- Hope to the hopeless
- Help to the poor
- Healing to the sick
- Freedom to the captive
- Sight and hearing to the inflicted
- Comfort, Joy, Peace to those in affliction
- Salvation to the lost
God is Able to make and keep His covenants
- He is El Shadi Almighty God
- He is the God that is MORE than enough.
Our Choice Accept Gods terms OR die
eternal, spiritual death
- God has given us the NT.
- Do you accept OR die?
Bible is a Covenant